You are not sure how to find the right dimensions for your table? Then you are probably also unsure how much space should be reserved for a functional dining table, because chairs and traffic routes are also part of the equation.
In this guide, we give you a few tips on how to determine the correct size and also how to determine whether the dining table with the desired dimensions fits into your personal living situation. Find a large selection of dining tables on our site.
- 1 Determine the desired dimensions of your dining table
- 2 Calculate the table size
- 3 This gives the following guidelines
- 4 Calculate the required area for the dining table
- 5 Consider armrest height for chairs
Determine the desired dimensions of your dining table
First of all, think carefully about how many people will be seated at your dining table in normal everyday life. Then take a moment to reflect on how many people come to visit frequently and how large the circle is on average. Now you can use average measurements to determine the table size required for the number of people you wish to have at your table.
Calculate the table size
In order to determine the table size, we first of all start with the “cover size”. This is the space required per person for a fully laid table with glasses, cutlery and plates. Per place setting we estimate 60 cm table width and 40 cm depth.
If you regularly want to accommodate many people at your rectangular table, the dimensions should be chosen somewhat more generously. Also note the depth of the table. A large table of less than 100 cm depth offers hardly any space for decoration, bowls and plates.
This gives the following guidelines
Minimum size for squared dining tables
- Dining table for 4 persons – squared table with a size of at least 80×80 cm
- Dining table for 6 persons – rectangular table with a minimum size of 180×90 cm
- Dining table for 8 people – rectangular table with a minimum size of 240×100 cm
- If the front sides of the table are used, add 20 cm
Minimum size for round tables
- Dining table for 4 persons – round table with a diameter of 90-100 cm
- Dining table for 6 persons – round table with a diameter of 120-140 cm
- Dining table for 8 persons – round table with a diameter of 140-160 cm
Calculate the required area for the dining table
Now you have determined the dimensions that your personal dining table should have so that it meets your requirements. What you now need to determine whether your desired table will also fit in your home is the size of the space needed for this table, the chairs and the traffic routes.
To calculate the space required for your desired dining table, add another 100 centimetres to the table dimensions on all sides of the table, then each guest can move comfortably, get up, sit down and walk behind the other guests. If necessary, every guest can then be served. If main routes such as the way to the kitchen still have to be considered, you should add another 20 cm. If you want the dining table with chairs and traffic areas to be reasonably comfortable, you need these room sizes.
Minimum space requirements for square dining tables
- Table size 80×80 cm: 280×280 cm
- Table size 180×90 cm: 380×290 cm
- Table size 240×100 cm 440×300 cm
Minimum space requirements for round tables
- diameter 90 cm: 290×290 cm
- diameter 120 cm: 320×320 cm
- diameter 140 cm: 340×340 cm
Consider armrest height for chairs
When choosing chairs with armrests for your dining table, don’t forget to take into account the height of the table, the height of the frame and the height of the armrests. If the armrests of the chairs you want are higher than the legroom under the table, which is the value of the table height minus the height of the frame, the chairs will take up considerably more space in everyday life. They cannot be pushed under the table. However, if this gain in space is important to you, it is better to ask the shop of your choice before you order.